Thursday, August 5, 2010

Gangsters, Grease, and... Jesus

Classes finally began on Tuesday, and I was more than ready. I am a little bit flawed in the fact that I usually enjoy homework and really like writing research papers. In the past few weeks I've found myself with a little more free time than I'm used to, which has led to a little bit of boredom. I know you're not supposed to say that when you study abroad, but when you go from being a full time student who works part time and does ministry, to taking one Spanish class, life slows down to an uncomfortable pace. Not that I don't have plenty to think about adjusting to a new culture, but I think I will adjust better when I have places to be, people to meet, and a bit more of a sense of purpose. Being in real class finally is a good start, but I'm also excited to start volunteering (I need to figure out where), and getting involved in some activities. I'm thinking about joining the theatre group. Theatre in Spanish might be difficult, but theatre kids are usually really friendly, if not odd, which will probably remind me of my own friends :)

Besides the core course just for students in our program, which is about the history and social development of Nicaragua, all of my classes are with Nicaraguan students. I picked 3 that are all part of the history major, so I have the same people in all of my classes because here, students in the same year and major take all of their classes together. So my class titles are (ready?): Seminar on the Latin American Reality, Seminar on the Central American Reality, and Seminar on the National Reality. There is no better place to learn about Central and Latin American politics, history, and social problems than here in Nicaragua, so I think I made good choices. The "seminar" in the title means that participation is a big part of the grade and we do lots of discussions and debates, and the classes are small, which is exactly what I'm used to.

I ride the regular bus to school every day, which brings up another funny irony of life here. The buses definitely give off a somewhat rough image: nobody smiles, everybody holds their things tight and watches their pockets, and people are packed in like pigs to the point where getting off at a stop, if you're not close to the exit, sometimes requires that you literally pry people apart from each other and squeeze through... you better hope you're skinny. Yet just as you put your "don't mess with me" face on and try not to smile, an American song will come on the speakers, like "Hopelessly devoted to you" or "You're the one that I want" from Grease. On top of that, they are all decked out with religious slogans and paintings. Today as I was trying to avoid a guy's intimidating stare, I looked up to see a painting of Jesus with a shepherd's outfit holding a lamb. Who decides these things?

Hope you are all well. Much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment